Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Big Picture Series: Writing Daily

From Two Writing Teachers

Challenge:
Figure out what gets in the way of you writing regularly. Once you figure it out, grab your agenda, lesson plan book, or PDA, and schedule 10 – 20 minutes of writing time per day for yourself. Treat this time as if it were a doctor’s appointment or a visit to a manicurist. Turn off your phone. Unplug from your email. Set aside this time to just drop everything and write.

Reflective Journal:
Some questions to answer:

  • What is standing in the way of you writing regularly?
  • How will you make sure you drop everything and write during the times you’ve blocked-off daily?



  • Wow! I have to say that I really need to do this. I have been writing at least once a week, maybe two times in addition to the writing that I do with students. I firmly believe that writing along aside of them helps them realize that you too struggle with many of the same things that they do. My problem is that my best time of day is morning and that is when I am at work. So, I should get up earlier to accomplish some mediation/writing time, but single motherhood is hard and that makes it difficult. Most of my writing takes place after I am home from work and my girls are asleep. By then I am so brain fried that I feel it is worthless. However, I am sure it is just my view of it.

    So perhaps I should allot the time right after my girls go to bed, as my personal writing time. Thanks, Stacey for the friendly reminder that as teachers of writing it is our responsibility to actually craft our own writing pieces.

    1 comment:

    1. great reflection . . . i, too, am always amazed at how many common struggles writers of all experiences face. it's a humbling and essential experience as a teacher of writing. :)

      ruth

      ReplyDelete