Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Slice of Life Challenge

As I busily prepared the girls for bed the phone rang, “Hello?” I asked. I quickly put Emma in her pajamas as I continued my conversation with my friend. While talking with her someone called. Hopefully they will leave a message I thought. A few moments later as I hung up the phone I realized I had a message. The message was from a parent of a child in my classroom. I picked up the phone and dialed.

“Hello, Ms Snow,” my student said, “My mom is not conferring with me like you, so we decided to see if you could help me.”

We discussed the problem he was having in his piece and decided that the stopping point was a good one and he could resume in the morning with me. I hung up the phone, put the girls to bed, propped up my feet, and turned on my favorite show. About an hour later the phone rang again, it startled me. I looked at the clock and quickly answered the phone.

“Ms. Snow, I need to talk to you about the green comet,” the student said.

“Okay, what’s going on?” I asked.

Suddenly I heard a woman ask, “Who are you talking to? You DID NOT call your teacher did you?”

“Yes,” he replied softly, “I needed to tell her something.”

“Tell her goodbye and hang up NOW!” I heard her say quite forcefully.

“See you tomorrow,” he said as he clicked the phone.

I giggled and hung up the phone. I love being a teacher.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe we should teach parents how to confer?

    “Hello, Ms Snow,” my student said, “My mom is not conferring with me like you, so we decided to see if you could help me.”

    ReplyDelete