Sunday, January 25, 2009

Memoir Monday~Water Logged

Saturday night ritual: bath, wash hair, curlers for Sunday, Hee-Haw, and Dukes of Hazzard. This night was just like any other Saturday night. Mom telling us to hurry up as she began the bath. The water shushing as it escapes into the tub.

"Come on, Lynnelle! Hurry up!" My mom yells as I come crashing through the door. I quickly grab a towel and wash cloth as she begins to turn the bath water off. Her hands grab the knobs, but the water continues to splash out. "What's happening?" I ask, "Did the faucet break?

"I don't know...hmmm..go get the wrench, " my mom says calmly. When I arrive back in the bathroom, my mom is no longer calm as the water is climbing higher and higher. As I watch the water climb, my mom taps me on the shoulder and tells me to run next door and get our neighbor. In my bathrobe, I run through the woods in my bare feet. I pound on the door hollering for Dewayne. "Please come quickly! Our tub is getting ready to overflow," I stutter. He grabbed his tools and ran to the waterline. He immediately shut it off. He was the man of the hour.

When I walked into the bathroom the water was skimming over the edge of the tub. He came in the house and fixed the faucet. And wouldn't you know it, I still had to wear those darned pink rollers that night for church the next day?

1 comment:

  1. I had to do the same thing as a kid. Not always for church, but for picture day at school, dance recitals, etc. I loved those rollers, but they were so hard to sleep in!

    Thank goodness for good neighbors.

    ReplyDelete