Sunday, March 8, 2009

Challenge #8~Write your heart~

As I glance back through my week, I realize that I have begun to look forward to the moment that I can sit, relax and write. Some days this week, as soon as something happened I knew when I got home I would write about that for my slice, but other days were more of a ruminating moment. Sitting, reflecting, drinking hot cider by the laptop figuring out what my heart was speaking to me about. And still other days I felt so rushed by the time I sat down that it seemed I had nothing to write, but still I wrote. As a result of this first week of slice, I realize the Slice is about stopping. Being Still. Listening. And writing from the heart. As quoted from a mighty fifth grader in my classroom during his student led conference on Thursday, "I will never stop writing; I will always write from my heart."

10 comments:

  1. Yes, you're right. It's about stopping. This is the first time I've part in such an intensive writing challenge and every day I look forward to writing it and putting it out there for people to read. Nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have noticed that I have been more reflective this week since I have been writing. Your post is so true. The comment from your student says a lot about you as a teacher. Superb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking about your post and plan to link it from mine SOL today. Thank you for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what that child said!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great words this child spoke...

    I've come to find myself looking in my day for something to write about. And yes, stopping to think can definitely be a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with MaryHelen that this has made me more reflective, and I like what you said about writing from the heart. I've bagged on a few ideas right at the end because they just didn't feel authentic enough. Some are more heart-y than others...
    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That last post was from T-Dawg
    http://darkstar11.edublogs.org

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would be honored if you used it...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is what I found last year when I participated in this challenge. I slowed down and really paid attention to those ordinary moments in life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that quote from your student. I agree that this is what the slice challenge really pushes us to do. It's a welcome push for me, as I often have a hard time giving myself time to write.

    ReplyDelete